2017 Youth Scholarship Awardees
CDBA is once again proud to support the Austin Crisologo Dragonboat Youth Scholarship. This year’s award winners of the $1,000 scholarships were selected for exhibiting leadership, selflessness, and their inspiration and support to teammates. The winners were announced at the CDBA Youth Race, April 22, at Lake Merced.
- Katherine Ngo, CYC. Katherine is a four-year paddler and captain of her team. She is also an excellent student with a 4.34 GPA. Her coach Sean Wong said, “Challenging stereotypes and gender roles has made Katherine an inspiring role model, especially for CYC’s female paddlers.”
- Nathan So, KPD Lemonators. Nathan is also a four-year paddler for his team. In addition to being a paddler for his team, Nathan has also attended coaching clinics in order to help coach his team. Finally, Nathan has also passed the certification to steer. “I am happy to say that I have helped spread the love of this sport to a substantial group of inner city youths from all over the East Bay who otherwise would not have an opportunity to experience this sport,” he said. Nathan is the first East-Bay recipient of our scholarship.
- Claudio Aldag, Galileo High School (scholarship in memory of Nicholas Tom). Claudio is also a four-year paddler. He said, “The most rewarding part about being a leader is passing down my knowledge to the younger paddlers. I set the bar high for my teammates because I want them to strive for greatness and never settle for “good.”
From left to right, are: CDBA president Jonathan Kong, Katherine Ngo, Nathan So, and Claudio Aldag. Also pictured are scholarship sponsors Terry and Gayline Tom.
2015 Paddle-a-thon for Youth Scholarships!
The rules are pretty simple.
- Interested participants need to raise $25 to participate (by paying it themselves or asking people to financially pledge them)
- If paddle-a-thon reaches goal of raising $1000, the paddler who raises the most money ($200 minimum) will also be awarded a carbon fiber paddler
If you're not a youth, please consider donating or pledging to a youth you know who paddles!
PC: Stefan R.